Summer means tan lines, chlorine, salt water hair and exfoliating my skin every other day to make sure I get all of the sunscreen out of my pores. Today I wanted to just mention a few of the skincare products I’ve been reaching for in the last few weeks to work with (not combat) my summer skin.
- DHC Deep Cleansing Oil // I am an advocate of the double cleanse (oil cleanser or micellar water to take off makeup followed by a water based foaming cleanser to really get in there) and this DHC oil is my go to first cleanse. I love using it to melt away my makeup while simultaneously massaging my face after a long day. For all you oily skin people who are scared to put even more oil on your face FEAR NOT, using an oil cleanser actually helps to balance out the oil in your skin rather than strip it like most cleansers which can lead to the overproduction of oil in your skin. Bottom line, I love this stuff. It gets deep into my pores and cleans out all the makeup, sunscreen and pollution that has gotten into my skin throughout the day.
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Mask // This is the most recent addition to my mask collection and it was only $12 (regular $17 but I got it on sale). I’ve been breaking out a lot recently from a combination of hormones, switching my diet and trying to make sure I really get all that sunscreen off of my face so I was looking for a mask that was going to go in and help me deep clean my pores a few times a week. I’ve found I’m allergic to a few of the common acne fighting ingredients (benzoyl peroxide being the big one) and wanted to try something a little more natural to see how my skin would take to it. Tea tree oil is on the gentler side of acne treatments hence why I picked up this mask. I have to say, I’ve only used this mask a handful of times since buying it but this shit is GOOD. Beware that after taking the mask off you’ll feel a little dry as you do with most acne ingredients but just take care to slather on some night time moisturizer. I’m going to continue to try this baby out for the next few months but first impressions are very positive.
- Trader Joe’s Aloe Vera // I always have an aloe vera gel on hand because I tend to get a little roasty on beach days. This year I decided to try the TJ’s version and have been very happy with it so far. Thankfully I’ve only had to use it a few times at the very beginning of summer but it was cooling and really took down my sunburn/peeling time.
- Laneige Water Bank Serum // I bought this serum as a part of a Laneige trial pack when Target still carried the brand. Target has since discontinued it but they were recently added to Sephora (YAY). I love this serum for the summer because it feels more like a gel moisturizer than your typical watery serum. I like laying this on first followed by a light moisturizer and some Coola sunscreen for a beach day.
- Pixi Glow Tonic // My absolute favorite toner for the summer and if I’m being honest, year round as well. This Pixi toner is gentle enough for twice a day and also contains glycolic acid which helps exfoliate and fight acne, two things that I really put on the top of my priority list in the summer. Really, this one is a holy grail in the skincare community and a no brainer.
- Coola Classic Sunscreen (Cucumber) // I first mentioned this Coola sunscreen in my sunscreen test post. Since then I’ve used up about 75% of my bottle and am about to order a second one. It smells amazing, doesn’t feel heavy and most importantly I DO NOT BURN WHILE WEARING IT. I can wear it both under makeup and on no makeup days and it gets the job done.
BONUS because I forgot to pull this out of my purse for the group photo but Glossier’s Coconut Balm Dot Com is The One for summer lip balm. It hasn’t left my purse in months because I religiously take it with me everywhere. If you want to smell like a coconut beach paradise for the rest of your days then this is your lip balm.
Wishing you clear af sunkissed skin for the rest of your endless summer days.