We’re (Angela and Sarah) hitting you with a collab post today all about Kristin Ess Hair! If you didn’t already know, Kristin Ess is basically the hair whisperer. Her client list has everyone from Lauren Conrad to Jenna Dewan Tatum to Lucy Hale. Basically any woman in Hollywood with killer hair owes a thanks to Kristin. She also runs the hair division on one of our favorite beauty sites, The Beauty Department.
A few months ago, Kristin announced that she would be launching her own hair line at….TARGET. As if we couldn’t love this woman enough, she decided to cater to the average woman and make every single item in her line affordable. KRISTIN, WE SEE YOU AND WE LOVE YOU. We’ve tried out most of the line and below are our thoughts. (Spoiler alert, we love it. Run, don’t walk to buy it all because it’s probably almost close to sold out at Target.)
Things you need to know before we begin:
- The entire line has a floral scent so if that isn’t your thing you may not enjoy it as much as we do. I (Sarah) usually can’t do strong floral scents in my shower routine but I found that I really enjoy this one. Plus it lingers throughout the day so you always smell super clean.
- Every product is color coded so you know what to use when. Pink products are used in the shower, white products are used right out of the shower on wet hair, grey products are used on damp towel dried hair and black bottles are used on dry hair for styling.
- Hot tip for trying to get your hands on these babies, order via Target’s “store pick up” option online. Each time I (Sarah) go to Target I check out the Kristin section just out of curiosity and it is WIPED OUT every single time. Best to check stock online and save yourself the headache.
- The One Signature Shampoo ($10)
- This is my new favorite shampoo. I’ve used it every time I’ve washed my hair for the past two weeks and I’m still not sick of it. It gets rid of all my product build up and oil while still not completely stripping my scalp. The scent is fairly strong but I don’t mind it at all and I love that it lingers throughout the day. – SAS
- I’m one of “those people” who only washes her hair twice a week and this shampoo is perfect for just that. I’m a floral gal through and through so sometimes I catch myself sniffing my own hair throughout the day, no shame. My only complaint is the shampoo doesn’t suds and bubble as much as I’d like (yes, I’m 5). – A
- The One Signature Conditioner ($10)
- The perfect pair to the above shampoo, The One Signature Conditioner is my new regular conditioner. I just put a quarter size amount on the bottom 3/4ths of my hair, leave it on for about three minutes, rinse out and it makes my hair SO SOFT. – SAS
- An AMAZE conditioner. If you pair this with the leave in conditioner, every day can be Day 2 hair. You know what I’m talking about ladies. The perfect Day 2 after washing hair when your flyaways settle and the oil is just enough. That’s how great this is. – A
- Reconstructive Moisture Mask ($14)
- Full transparency: I have virgin hair. There I said it. I’ve never dyed it and I use heating products about once a month, if that. So for me, this moisture mask is a god-send. I usually use it every 10 days (every two hair wash cycles), leave it in while shaving (or the length of one song by Chance the Rapper) and my hair feels like it’s made from a cherub’s wings after. – A
- Leave In Conditioner ($10)
- This. Stuff. Is. Of. The. Gods. I swear to you, I don’t know if I’ve ever used a better hair product. I had been blood oath loyal to the It’s a 10 Miracle Leave In Product (and I still love it) but this Kristin Ess leave in is something else. It’s light without sacrificing product and strong without creating build up. I have super long, super thick hair so a leave in conditioner is a part of my every day routine to help keep my tangles at bay and this product is my savior. Buy it immediately. – SAS
- ^HONESTLY SAME. I could write a Harry Potter sized novel (I’m talking book 7 sized, not measly 1-3 sized) about how much I love this stuff. I’ve never used a better hair product and my only complaint is that one day it may be discontinued and I won’t know what to do. – A
- Working Serum ($14)
- I used to use hair serums on the daily throughout high school and college but stopped a few years ago when I stopped straightening my hair. What is different about Kristin’s serum is that you use it when your hair is wet rather than dry so it works WITH your blow out rather than after. I’ve noticed a significant improvement in my ends so this baby has made it into my blow dry routine. – SAS
- Using this serum on wet hair is life changing. This plus the leave in conditioner plus the moisture mask equals beautifully soft and healthy hair. I also usually pair this with Sebastian Potion 9 Wearable Styling Treatment and it complements perfectly. – A
- Thickening Spray ($14)
- I actually ended up returning my Thickening Spray because it didn’t work for my hair type (insanely thick) but I know it would probably work for most anyone else. It gave my hair a little bit of grit and hold which would be great for styling but on my hair it just weighed it down too much for my liking. – SAS
- Loose Styling Powder ($10)
- As a self proclaimed braid addict, I live and die by styling powder. Styling powder is a light powder that you sprinkle on your braids so you can pull them apart to create a messy loose look without risking it falling apart. I previously used the Big Sexy Hair Powder Play but I have now crossed over to Kristin’s version. Kristin’s gives me the same grit and hold without the sticky residue I’ve found in other products. Bonus, I can comb it out my braids after my hair is done for the day and it doesn’t feel gross and dirty the day after. – SAS
- I’m not nearly as intense as SAS with braids but on Day 5 without washing hair, I almost exclusively wear two french braids and this powder has saved my life. I have thick hair but when splitting hair between two braids, powder is necessary to fill ’em out a bit. I love that it has hold and power without any reminders of it. It’s easy to brush out and the sticky factor isn’t all that sticky. Plus the stay is INSANE. I go play soccer for two hours with these braids in and they look nearly perfect after. – A
Kristin also has a tutorial for each product on her website so you know exactly how to use them. Check them out here!