Today I am turning 25.
I’ve been thinking and reflecting on what the past year of being 24 has meant to me and all I know for sure is that it felt a whole lot better than my early 20s. This past year was the first year of my life where I felt genuinely happy throughout the entire course of the year. It was the year I started to prioritize how I thought and felt about myself instead of prioritizing what I thought others thought of me. It was the year I decided I could be a bad ass if I wanted to be. It was the year I started to genuinely believe in myself. It was the year I started to put myself first.
As my first decree of being 25, I am publicly stating My Top 10 rules and truths that I live by. Some of them I have learned over the past year, some of them I have known for a while, all of them are important to me.
1. Wear whatever the hell you want. Wear red lipstick if it makes you feel like a badass. Wear leggings because they are comfortable (AND BECAUSE FOR THE LAST TIME, THEY ARE PANTS). Wear a scrunchie because they are awesome. They day I realized I should be dressing for me and only me was the day I let go of a lot of expectations.
2. Take care of yourself – physically, mentally and emotionally. I like doing yoga because it exhausts me both physically and mentally. I also like wine because it lets me wind down at the end of a long day. Both are important. I also like word vomiting because it takes care of the “emotional” part of my life.
3. Say “no” to always saying “yes.” I’m an INFP which means I tend to recharge with my alone time. On the other hand, this also means I sometimes have to push myself to get out of the house and actually talk to other human beings. I work constantly to make sure that I am conscious of knowing when I need an alone recharge day versus when I need to take a break from being a hermit. BALANCE BABY.
4. Read. Read everything. Articles, books, essays, poetry, lists, read them all and soak it up like a magic eraser.
5. Document. Write down your feelings. Take pictures of EVERYTHING. (PSA this is not the same as sharing them via social media. What I’m talking about is taking photos just to take photos. Remember how good that felt? Social media is a complete sham anyways.)
6. Celebrate birthdays. I LOVE birthdays. I live by the Birthday Week Law which states that the three days prior and the three days following your date of birth constitutes Birthday Week. Celebrate for seven whole days. Eat cake. Pop confetti pops. Drink margaritas.
7. Be nice to people. Seriously.
8. Spend time with the ones you love. For me this means taking as many chances as I get to go home and visit my family. And my cats. My cats are my babies.
9. Don’t feel guilty for doing the things you love. This could mean listening to boy bands, eating pizza for an entire day or going to bed at 9pm on a weekend. Do whatever makes you happy and don’t let other people make you feel bad about it.
10. Write letters and send snail mail. Everyone loves getting things in the mail that aren’t bills and all it takes is one stamp, a card and a few sentences to make someone smile.
I AM SO EXCITED TO BE 25. I can’t wait to keep working on self love and self belief and self bad assness. I am slowly realizing that it’s okay to be selfish sometimes. Especially when you’re young and have a uterus and you realize that if you don’t prioritize yourself, not a lot of other people are going to do it either.
RISE UP YAS QUEENS.