Because it this is our first Thursday without TGIT, I have decided to write a letter addressed to my beloved Grey’s Anatomy and giver of life, Shonda Rhimes.
I have been watching Grey’s Anatomy since 2007. The show actually premiered in 2005 but I was a tad too young to watch. It wasn’t until 2007 that I bought the DVD sets of S1 and S2 which led to me officially jumping on board in S3.
Hello Shonda, are you there? It’s me Sarah.
Nine years later and I am still loyal to this show. So loyal in fact that I dare you to try, JUST TRY to make plans with me on a Thursday night at 8pm. It will never happen. I have a long standing date with Meredith Grey and nothing can or will change that. I have moved around dinner plans, workout schedules, and after work appointments just to make sure Mer and I are ready to go at 8:00pm sharp.
I know while reading this you’re probably asking yourself, “this girl actually stayed on board for this long? I didn’t even know that show was still running.” Nearly everyone I know says that exact statement to me when they find out I still devote my Thursday nights to Meredith & Co. You know what I say to that? I say that at this point in my Grey’s relationship I have invested too many hours of my life to drop my beloved Seattle Grace/Grey Sloan crew. We have a history, we have a connection and it cannot be severed.
I rejoiced when Izzie left, I was upset when Teddy left, I cried when Henry died, I laughed OUT LOUD at the Ghost Denny storyline, I sobbed over Lexie dying, I am STILL not over Sloan dying (SO UNNECESSARY), the musical episode was maybe the worst thing to ever air on network television, Cristina Yang walking away from Meredith Grey was the most difficult thing to ever watch (I cried for a week straight after it aired), and McDreamy dying killed one half of my OTP (One True Pairing) which then made me question if Shonda created this entire show just to personally rip my heart out. We in the Grey’s fandom have been through almost every natural and manmade disaster possible. I am CONVINCED the series finale will be the apocalypse. (My entire theory banks on the fact that Meredith will survive the apocalypse. Then the show will continue in a dystopian future where Mer is the only surgeon to survive and she will lead a medical revolution because THIS SHOW WILL NEVER EVER END.)
The funny thing is, something weirdly magical has happened in the past eight months. This past season of Grey’s was the number 2 highest rated drama in all of primetime. Yes you read that correctly, a show that has been running for TWELVE SEASONS is somehow still pulling in monster ratings. I think it is partially the availability of the previous seasons on Netflix which allows newbies to jump into OG Seattle Grace and partially the fact that the show is just GOOD. The storylines that Shonda has so expertly woven through the past twelve years are unrivaled. Sure the medical drama is completely over the top (literally everyone can agree on this), but it’s the relationships that really drive the show forward.
More than anything the life force of this show is/was the relationship between Cristina Yang and Meredith Grey. When was the last time a female friendship this strong was given a front and center platform on a TV show? I mean even putting that aside, when was the last time that two FEMALE CHARACTERS were given the lead roles that drove the plot in a TV show? (Also keep in mind this show started in 2005 when that sentence was even more uncommon than it is now.) Not to mention the fact that both women are extremely intelligent, driven, talented and full of layers. I will be forever grateful to Shonda for giving me Grey and Yang to look up to as a young girl growing up in a world dominated by A) one dimensional female characters and 2) a shit ton of male characters. Mer and Cristina are/were truly the sun of Grey’s. (Also worth mentioning, the new Sister Squad that Shonda has created with Mer/Maggie/Amelia. While Sister Squad is no Twisted Sisters, I see a lot of potential for the next few seasons if Shonda keeps pushing them to be better. Because right now, Amelia is straight AWFUL. Maggie rules though.)
In a true fangirl fashion, I will end this with my top 5 most hated and top 5 most loved characters to ever be on the show.
- Thatcher Grey – actual horrible human being and father to Meredith. I will FIGHT anyone who doesn’t think he deserves the #1 villian spot. (Also known as Cyrus Bean on Scandal where he is yet again a HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING.)
- Jane Doe/Ava/Rebecca Pope – another terrible human being that was awful to Karev and more importantly a LIAR.
- Ellis Grey – genius woman, terrible parent. (Also known as Sally Langston on Scandal “HELLO LUVAS OF LIBERTY.”)
- April Kepner – coming off of the most recent season is what really sealed the deal for April being on this list. Jackson (my precious cinnamon roll of a human) is much too good for her and quite simply, she needs to get her shit together.
- Izzie Stevens – this might ruffle a few feathers but I could never really get behind Izzie especially after the Denny fiasco. It still bothers me that Shonda didn’t kill her off and instead just let her fade away into the distance.
- Cristina Yang – brilliant, strong, loyal and one of the best written female characters on television. One half of the Twisted Sisters. (I MISS YOU SO MUCH EVERY EPISODE CRISTINA.)
- Meredith Grey – the other half of the Twisted Sisters. The centerpiece of the show, a semi-flawed heroine, brilliant, strong and loving. She is THE GREY.
- Mark Sloan – I JUST REALLY LOVE MARK AND AM NOT READY TO ACCEPT HIS DEATH EVEN THOUGH IT HAS BEEN YEARS OKAY. Founder of the Plastics Posse which TBH is still an incredible name for the Plastics team.
- Derek Shepherd – the love of Mer’s life. Writer of the Post-it Note. Drawer of the Tumor Wall. Father of the 3 Grey-Shepherd kids (who we never see and I genuinely wonder what is happening with them.) Died unnecessarily and without justice.
- Addison Montgomery
Shepherd– Addison is a bad bitch and that’s all you really need to know.
- HONORABLE MENTION: Richard Webber – beloved since season 1, Richard’s most recent scenes in S12 (hello Webzona) have been INCREDIBLE. I hope to see more of this fun, carefree Richard in the future.
- HONORABLE MENTION: Teddy Altman – I loved when Teddy was on the show. She was strong character who could hold her own in the Grey’s universe and was a great mentor to Cristina. Shonda didn’t officially kill her off, just sent her away to work for the military again so I am holding out unrealistic hope that she will come back and we can get rid of some of these less than good newbie characters.
See you next fall Mer, I’ll bring the tequila.